THE MODERN WORLD
1600 TO THE 21ST CENTURY
The world as it was in the 1600s does not seem modern to us today, but the things that happened then set the
stage for great changes that would produce our modern world. The world as we know it would not exist without the agricultural revolution of the 1700s, the indistrial revolution and the med-ical advances of the 1800's, the struggles to achieve national indepen-
dence and individual liberty from the 18th to the 21st century, as well as numberous wars, some of them worldwide.
As you study the history of the world for the past 400 years, you will want to become familiar with the places where events occurred and the nations that have come into existence. Americans sometimes take for granted the freedom that was provided for us under the Constitution more than two hundred years ago. You will learn that there is no other country that has had more liberty than we have enjoyed. You will find out about people who have yearned to have similar peace and prosperity but were not able to do so because of rulers and tyrannts who wanted to expand their own power and maintain personal control.
You will meet many individuals who have made a difference. Some of them were honorable, others caused much misery and distruction. The more you learn about geography, forms of government, and people who have shaped the events of history, the better you will understand our world.
YOU WILL LEARN ABOUT
Peter the Great
WWI and WWII
and much more
Your Packet Includes:
- An overview of history for each of the 36 featured events (Text includes research topics for older students.)
- One set of 35 illustrations (approximately 2"x3") in full color.
- Two sets of black and white illustrations ready to color.
- A study guide for teaching principles and values that related to each of the 36 events.
History in Action activity which chronologically summarizes the featured events
- A detailed index of the summaries to help you find textual references for about 800 topics.
- Instructions for making various types of time lines and ideas for additional ways to use time line figures.
- A page of dates to use in making your time line.
- Suggestions for games, projects and learning activities